Wednesday, January 26, 2011

School Finance Week 2 Assignment Part 3


The TEA Budgeting Guidelines document is a valuable tool that contains a wealth of information. This document outlines the different types of budgetary approaches: line item, performance, program and planning-programming, zero-base, and site-based. The document goes on to discuss the legal requirements for budgeting, annual responsibilities, revenue estimates, expenditure estimates, budget review, approval, and maintenance, and financial forecasting and planning. Budgeting for grant programs and multi-year construction projects are also included. Budgeting is such a complex endeavor, and I am glad that this type of document exists.

I learned through reading this document that there are several different approaches a school district can take for the budgeting process. A brief history and the pros and cons of each type of budget are detailed in the document. The portion on grant funds and indirect costs was helpful, as I deal with federal grant funds. Also, I learned a great deal from the sections on projecting enrollment and forecasting expenditures and revenue. The intricacies of calculating WADA and tax revenue projections can be daunting, and this document gives guidance and direction for those types of projections.

This is a document that I will keep for future reference. I know it is information that I will use not only if I become a superintendent, but also in my current position. Although I am not responsible for the district budget, I am responsible for the Career and Technical Education Budget, including federal Perkins funds. This valuable resource will be something I continue to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment